
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A Minnesota jury awarded $65.5 million on Friday to a mother of three who claimed talcum products made by Johnson & Johnson exposed her to asbestos and contributed to her developing cancer in the lining of her lungs.
Jurors determined that plaintiff Anna Jean Houghton Carley, 37, should be compensated by Johnson & Johnson after using its baby powder throughout her childhood and later developing mesothelioma, an aggressive cancer caused primarily by exposure to the carcinogen asbestos.
Johnson & Johnson said it would appeal the verdict.
During a 13-day trial in Ramsey County District Court, Carley's legal team argued the pharmaceutical giant sold and marketed talc-based products to consumers despite knowing it can be contaminated with asbestos. Carley's lawyers also said her family was never warned about potential dangers while using the product on their child. The product was taken off shelves in the U.S. in 2020.
“This case was not about compensation only. It was about truth and accountability," Carley's attorney Ben Braly said.
Erik Haas, worldwide vice president of litigation for Johnson & Johnson, argued the company's baby powder is safe, does not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer. He expects an appellate court to reverse the decision.
The verdict is the latest development in a longstanding legal battle over claims that talc in Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower body powder was connected to ovarian cancer and mesothelioma, which strikes the lungs and other organs. Johnson & Johnson stopped selling powder made with talc worldwide in 2023.
“These lawsuits are predicated on ‘junk science,’ refuted by decades of studies that demonstrate Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder is safe, does not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer,” Haas said in a statement after the verdict.
Earlier this month, a Los Angeles jury awarded $40 million to two women who claimed Johnson & Johnson's talcum powder caused their ovarian cancer. And in October, another California jury ordered the company to pay $966 million to the family of a woman who died of mesothelioma, claiming she developed the cancer because the baby powder she used was contaminated with asbestos.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
Pick Your Favored kind of sandwich - 2
Last supermoon of the year, the cold moon, seen across the U.S.: See the photos - 3
Top Music and Dance Celebration: Which One Gets You Going? - 4
Ariana Grande says Eternal Sunshine 2026 tour will be her last for a 'long, long time': 'One last hurrah' - 5
What happened to Eleven after the ambiguous 'Stranger Things' series finale? Millie Bobby Brown knows — but 'swore herself to secrecy'
She was the supermodel dubbed 'The Face' in the '80s. Joining OnlyFans in her 60s taught her a lot.
Malaysia To Revive Search for Missing Flight MH370
Can humans have babies in space? It may be harder than expected
Hilary Duff announces new album ‘Luck… or Something,’ her first in over 10 years: ‘Excited is the largest understatement’
Step by step instructions to Look at Compact disc Rates: A Thorough Aide
Fundamental Home Machines: An Easy to understand Determination Guide
More parents refusing vitamin K shots for newborns, study finds
Instructions to Clean and Really focus on Your Lab Precious stone
Finding the Universe of Workmanship: Individual Encounters in Imagination












